The mind is a crazy thing. It can take you so many places.
Him saying just one thing can trigger me so bad.
What was a great evening home with the family turns into hurt, tears, and more tears. Taking me to a place that I hate.
It's like a slow spiral down to this dark place. A place that can takes hours to return from.
The funny thing is.. it's all my own fault.
I hate saying that.
It almost seems unfair. because truly the cause of the triggers is from trauma and surely this trauma was caused by him. So unfair seems to be an accurate word to pin to it.
But unfair or not .. it's still real. And the outcome of the triggers is something I can control. And only me!
yuck.
It's powerful, yet so discouraging. Like a heavy load on my chest.
Sometimes I do really well with triggers.. when I do, this is how it goes:
Trigger: an image, something said, him on his phone, anything! triggers are everywhere.
I sit there and really think about the trigger I am feeling.. and why I am feeling it. Why it hurts.
I sit some more. I think this can go two ways.. I can go down the messy road of emotional mess and let the crazy come out. Or..
I take a breath.
I take another breath.
I accept the trigger and why it hurts.
I accept the situation.
I breathe some more.
I try to put myself back in the present... with the present husband.. who is trying hard to be in recovery.
Who isn't that man anymore. Who has changed and is changing.
I try to remember who I am now. Stronger. Wiser. Independent. In control.
I take another breath.
My mind takes the course of peace and acceptance.
It is a victory.
A victory well fought, if only for me see and pay glory to.
I wish I could say every trigger ended this way..
The other night I wasn't as strong. I let the crazy slide on in. She took reign of my mind and emotions. And a wild ride it was. And you can sure as hell bet I dragged him with me. But you see, he's healing and changing too... so now when I drag him on this ride... his emotions are stable. After a while he recapped the whole night since the trigger... and he truly wasn't doing anything wrong or against me. I was the one on the crazy rollercoaster. Like really. Crazy. Sobbing on the couch in the dark crazy.
Once I stopped and thought about what he said and what I was doing, I was so dissapointed with myself. I was sad. I was mad. I took the wrong path. The trigger was something that I could have dealt with so much more healthy... Instead I took it and ran with it. Making little jabs at my spouse along the way.
I'd like to say I learned a lot that night.
Triggers will hopefully become more manageable. And easeir to deal with in a positive way right off the bat.
Practice. I'll keep practicing.. repeating.. making a good habit. Maybe I'll trick my brain into recovery.

Don't be too hard on yourself! Those bad experiences are just as important as the good ones. Love you!
ReplyDelete